Get extra support applying for benefits in Scotland

If you have a physical disability, learning disability or mental health condition, you can get extra support when applying for a benefit from Social Security Scotland.

The support you’ll get will be from a person known as an advocate.

What an advocate does

An advocate will listen to you and try to understand your point of view and what you want to happen.

They can help you to:

  • apply for a benefit
  • speak up and make sure your views are understood
  • be fully involved and able to make decisions
  • ask questions and get the information you need
  • understand your rights relating to Social Security Scotland benefits
  • express your rights, views, and wishes including what you want to achieve

They will not:

  • give you advice
  • make decisions for you
  • speak for you if you’re able to speak for yourself, unless you ask them to
  • give their own views or opinions

An advocate cannot be a friend or family member.

If you need an advocate, you should contact Social Security Scotland. They’ll be able to help you find one.

You can ask for help from an advocate at any point before, during or after applying for Social Security Scotland benefits. Was this helpful?

Dumfries and Galloway College – External Development
The External Development department of Dumfries and Galloway College has been established to meet the following key strategic aims:
To respond to the business development needs of local employers and the wider business community.
To establish strong strategic alliances and develop a range of learning partnerships.
External Development will achieve this by providing quality training that is relevant to business needs. Services offered include Short Courses and Work-based qualifications in following areas: